Christmas Village

Christmas Village

Wednesday 17 December 2014

O Sapientia

As well as the special anniversary I wrote of in my post this morning, 17th December marks the day when my Christmas preparations and the accompanying sense of excitement really gathers pace.  The church liturgy moves up a gear from the evening of 17th December with the introduction of the 'O Antiphons'; a different one each evening from today until 23rd. (Although earlier English practice started on the evening of the 16th.)

A number of years ago I went to an Advent weekend at Turvey Abbey at which we made, among other things, a set of medallions reflecting the O Antiphons.  I now add the appropriate one each day to my hall decorations from now to 23rd.


O Sapientia, quae exore Altissime prodidisti, attingens a fine usque ad finem, fortiter suaviter disponensque omnia; veni ad docendem nos viam prudentiae.

No comments:

Post a Comment